Friday, March 09, 2018

The glossary you get

I just happened to notice when I was looking at catalogues and books online, a glossary or it may have even been a list of glossaries. I always associate a glossary with a book but there's not much that a paperbound object has been able to keep safe from ol' WWW

There are sixty five entries in a glossary on firelighting so it's not inconceivable that when we choose our usual wikis or pedias or both, they're going to bring up too many to consider. It's a good thing to avoid obfuscation and some would say worth the trouble.
The primary purpose of a glossary is not to explain itself in any case, rather it details all the components of an activity or a theory. Lighting fires has been done a number of ways and for a variety of reasons. The glossary allows you to make a case based on what you know about the activity and its outcomes.

A glossary for a portal, at least as far as Wikipedia is concerned, is divided broadly into General reference, culture and the arts, geography and places, health and fitness, history and events, mathematics and logic, natural and physical sciences, people and self, philosophy and thinking, religion and belief systems, society and social sciences, technology and applied sciences

and it just drills down from there.

II

Perhaps I have overlooked the function of the glossary and what one consists of in e-terms.

I would be quite happy to skip down through the terms Touched By The Son would touch on since that help us get a handle on what a glossary might consist of that sets it apart. The general reference divides into '-graphies' and library and information sciences. So far so compatible.

There's only three subheadings under culture; I choose owarai on the basis that I'm not familiar with it and then next tier down where culture is arts, fiction, games, sport, games contract bridge as I've never played it,  crafts and hobbies; my choice of Arts is poetry (groups and movements), of fiction literary terms although I could see how Newspeak would be useful, sport can be Wing Chun since I'm not really interested in sport and either notaphily - because I don't know what it is (notice the running theme) - or conjuring because I have had some vague interest can be the crafts and hobbies, although I have definitely collected comics and have an excellent collection of vintage Marvels.

Under Health and Fitness we'll look at Medical terminology (roots, suffixes and prefixes) as that has been significant recently.

History can show us the Weimar Republic

I don't know what Diophantine or Riemannian geometry are and I could not begin to explain Tensor theory so mathematics is as incomprehensible for me as ever, despite forcing myself to go there at regular intervals. At semi-regular intervals. Biological and physical sciences are familiar from older posts. If I have to look at those now familiar subcategories of biological and physical sciences, I gravitate to gene expression and classical physics respectively.

Under people and self, let's go with graphonomics. Philosophy only gives us Heidegger and we've been digging around the base for some time as it is so let's move on to spirituality as that's wispy enough to justify going anywhere near religion.
Society is again too well plumbed for us to spend much longer in its company. I'm going parochial for English dialects noting entries for both Australian English terms for food and drink and Australian English terms for people. I'm staying parochial for English words of Australian Aboriginal origin, Spanish words of Austronesian origin, Japanese words of Dutch origin.

I'm being discriminatory and skipping over discrimination. I'll probably do a post on it one day.

Our final Wikipedia portal glossary, technology and applied sciences yields telephony, alternative terms for free software, and automotive design.


That was portal: contents: glossaries but if you do a Wikipedia search (known in the industry as a search) for Category:Glossaries you get a bizarre looking consortium and what amounts to a smaller list.
Abrogans
Corpus Glossary
Épinal-Erfurt glossary
Federal Standard 1037C
Leiden Glossary
list of Go terms
Microsoft language portal
National Information Assurance Glossary
Svenska Akademiens ordlista
Talking Glossary of Genetic Terms
Theosophical glossary
Urra=hubbulu

Image result for glossary





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home