The Most Value
In a list of the public utilities that give you the most value, I consider gratis items to hold the most value and additional administrative expenses or exorbitant tips to hold the least.
- the library a free education, a quiet place of refuge, free entertainment, one of the few places where you can still borrow things and promise to give them back without money exchanging hands
- the park amenities you can use without waiting in a queue and the drink is as free as the nearest tap, a ready site for a range of free exercise, picnic here for a delightful and inexpensive date, the chance for a piece of nature if you otherwise lift in a strictly built environment, benches to sleep on and grass to sprawl on
- the abandoned quarry everything from masturbation to motocross is possible here - just be careful
- median strip considered neutral territory by many in the neighbourhood and so relatively safe from dispute, unlike an alley, where your very presence could pose a threat. As with the quarry, care needs exercising, only here the danger is not from sudden drops but rolling in your sleeping bag in front of sleepy night time traffic
- the mall best enjoyed when deserted as there are many seats to eat your fish'n'chips if you don't feel like walking all that way to the wharf, a place to get sunshine while reading your magazine and no problem with eating here or even watching the crowd go by - few sites afford this much stress-free and gleefully irresponsible social interaction. Window shopping can be diverting as long as it doesn't stimulate your penury gland.