Thursday, December 14, 2006

Yule be sorry

[the following email was forwarded to me at work]

<




> --
>
> A Holiday Tree
>

>

> This, is a Christmas tree.
>
> It is not a Hanukkah bush,
> it is not an Allah plant,
> it is not a Holiday hedge.
> It is a Christmas tree.
>
> Say it... CHRISTmas , CHRISTmas , CHRISTmas
>
>
> Yes, CHRISTmas - celebrating the

> Birth of Jesus Christ!!!
>
> Take a stand and pass this on !!
>
If anyone knows the email address of that muslim bitch who advises the PM on muslim protocol who got let off being charged on the cocaine smuggling charges on
>account of her "religious beliefs", be sure to send her two copies.

>
>Ta. And no, I won't be turning down my Christmas lights so as not to offend her or
>any other towel heads who believe they are above the law because they didn't have
a ham and cheese bagel for lunch whilst they are smuggling cocaine, extorting
money out of nightclub owners or mugging lifesavers so that they can claim
Cronulla for themselves.
>
>You are criminals. You may have the politicians in your pocket, but the rest
of us are not buying your bullshit.

and my reply:

Fair enough but the profound irony in all this is, of course, that the whole idea of the tree is nicked directly from PAGAN beliefs. Early Christian leaders were against this kind of Saturnalian display and one or two rulers outright banned them under punishment of death. Ultimately, like gargoyles on the parapet, the date time of celebration of Christmas and Easter - and numerous saints feast days - the Church, unable to stamp out the people's ancient festivals, co-opted them instead.

Blessed be!


Well he did ask me to take a stand so I did!!
(I think the towelhead reference has something to do with the Three Wise Men ;-( )

2 Comments:

At 2:17 am , Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

blessed be. geeezzzz what an e-mail full of crap and hate!

 
At 2:10 pm , Blogger Berko Wills said...

Absolutely. Even my 'fair enough' was a cowardly concession to what was an unthinking/thoughtless attack on a significant section of our community.

I wish I'd had the originator in the email listing or I would have given it to him but I figure a public debunking in the 'Reply All' and on my blog is the next best thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home