Tuesday, January 10, 2006

What's in a name?

I am operating on a 'guest' computer at the moment at work as the IT boys haven't been over to install my new machine yet (it's only been a month and a bit)so I had to look up this blog. It occurred to me scrolling through the google entries (mine was the first) that a lot of people actually use this term with no trace of irony.

No, folks, 'touched by the son' doesn't mean I've found God! It's a play on words. Seems like I get most of my jollies for wordplay, when it comes to that. Poets all stake out different territory but mine is in wordplay. If I can make one line mean five different things then I'm happy. If the next line doubles and quadruples the meaning then I'm happier still.

But then I'm an upbeat person. I very rarely get angry or despondent and maybe that's because I can outargue anyone I disagree with on central concerns. I used to make a sport of inviting Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons inside so that I could whup them with my theology. Turn about is fair play and I didn't pore through all those apologetics for nothing.
But religion doesn't push my buttons the way it once did. I rung it dry I guess. Now I just get annoyed at the way it influences public policy and personal politics. Try to imagine a secular world having any kind of beef with homosexuality, for example. I doubt there'd be many that would care if the holy books didn't condemn it. And the notion of keeping people with no quality of life alive just because you can - actually I think that's a serious misreading of God's intent. If someone would die of natural causes without our intervention (and has no quality of life) then I'd suggest we were going full tilt AGAINST God's wishes by keeping them on drips and the like.

Really, my needs are simple. They boil down to two wishes:
  1. If my song lyrics were adopted by recording artists and being sung in the public square and;
  2. if I had a gf
then I'd be deliriously well content.

3 Comments:

At 12:52 am , Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i hope you get those songs sung! and this is because i'm old and a bit slow, but what is a "gf?" is it what i think it is??? ; ) sherry

 
At 1:43 pm , Blogger Berko Wills said...

Thanks Sherry. Yes it is - the shorthand for 'main squeeze' as found in personal ads.
I will say that I am still in touch with a girl in Bairnsdale Victoria. The good news? We're pretty keen and seem well suited. The bad news? She's a long way away and, even though she has to move from her parents' place as they are planning on renovating and moving there, she is also involved in producing a documentary near Melbourne and so is unlikely to move to NSW.

 
At 12:37 am , Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

you just never know what the fates have in store. : ) sherry

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home