Tuesday, May 17, 2005

What if they gave a..

At the risk of having the casual visitor thinking this is another boring political/social comment blog dimly echoing the shit you can be read in the paper, more comment on the war that shouldn't be.
This time I come to share a positive development: they're having trouble recruiting in America. Apparently young men and women are not so keen to get killed when there are other jobs available (as Clint Eastwood says in Outlaw Josey Wales "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy") and so, even with generous incentives, recruiters are having a hard time meeting their target. Support for the war is also waning, which is further cause to celebrate, though you have to wonder what part of 'No Weapons of Mass Destruction' people didn't get.

Speaking of Clint, he was my boyhood hero. You're allowed to have boyhood heroes who don't rescue people or cure world hunger. I suppose I was as much of a fool about it as previous generations who'd copped their cool from Marlon Brando or James Dean. I never much cared for any of the other western heroes, they talked too much, they were too obviously the 'good guy'. I've never seen the Rawhide TV series as we didn't have television until the seventies, and it wasn't featured on any set in our holiday cottages, but the Spaghetti Western character made quite the impression. It was only years later that I discovered that the Man With No Name was largely created out of necessity - because Clint couldn't communicate with the cast and director, who were speaking a different language, he fashioned a character who rarely spoke. Worked for me, being shy, although for some reason it wasn't as attractive to girls as I foolishly believed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home