Friday, January 28, 2005

The common touch

If I'd heard William Shatner's cover of Common People before I voted then it would have got a guernsey in my Triple J Hottest 100 picks. Fantastic stuff.

I've been meditating on fame. I'm going to see short plays tonight by a friend at work and then I got to thinking of all the people I know who have some kind of profile. (Not me as I don't have any of my song lyrics published - but if you want some then I'm the best, bub):

  • Martin Moon: I've known for many moons. One of the old circle of friends from Perth. Started as a drummer playing round the traps in more bands than I can name and then migrated to the guitar and became a singer-songwriter with two albums under his belt. Not to be confused with Moon Martin or a character in a murder mystery.

  • Juliet Marillier: old boss at AUSTUDY, became a fantasy novelist of some note.

  • Graham Kershaw: another from our old gang. Wrote a novel, The Home Crowd, that received some coverage and was shortlisted for a WA literary award. Not to be confused with the English oil painter.

  • Ross Byrne: used to live in a sharehouse in Glebe with this guy - ABC sound recordist. Don't know if this equates with fame but his work is seen - or heard, rather - by a lot of people.

  • James Baker: used to go in and volunteer to listen to the kids read when our daughters were both littlies. Laura won an award and I was there to share in the glory. Parent nights were made interesting as I got James to regale me with stories about playing at CBGB's or meeting Wreckless Eric.


2 Comments:

At 2:44 pm , Blogger Iain said...

Oh sure, send people to Brett's page rather than mineOr is that some kind of metajoke on the nature of fame?

 
At 1:55 pm , Blogger Berko Wills said...

Well I never metajoke I didn't like but no that's not it: I figured it wasn't fame if you were promoting yourself - that's why I posted a fansite of Juliet's rather than her own homepage.
If I can ever work out how to do it, I'll put links to sites along the sidebar like I have with Drink It Black and then you'll have all the linking you could desire

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home